Sunday, February 17, 2008

dang tards.

In the last dream I remember, I had somehow gotten a job teaching special needs children. They all had a learning disability of some sort; some had down's syndrome, others schizophrenia, autism, and other assorted mental maladies. Brice asked me how my job was going one day and I told him I hated it and I hated working with retards. I felt so aggravated and annoyed by the pleas and requests and needs of the retarded kids I was there to serve. I couldn't understand why I even had this job except for the fact that it paid $30,000 a year and that was enough for me. I kept using the word "retard" over and over. Then I started using it at school, in the presence of my students. The principal called me into her office and scolded me: "You just can't say "tard" or use the word "retarded" in even a vaguely insulting manner!"

The principal hired a teaching assistant to help me manage the class and she herself was retarded. She was able to help the students though. She too scolded me about my derogatory remarks towards the people I was supposed to be helping. The last I remember is her look of disgust and frustration with me--she intimidated me with her scowl and her dull-colored fish eyes.

No comments: