Monday, February 04, 2008

lost in mexico

I was on vacation in Mexico with Brice and his family and I somehow got separated from the group and couldn't find my way back to the hotel. After a few hours of looking for the hotel and asking anyone I could find who spoke English where it was, I was panicky and in tears. A Mexican couple saw me crying and invited me back to their house for dinner and said I could try to work things out there. I tried calling Brice, his mom, and his sister from the peoples' phone but there was no service to their cell phones. I was frustrated and sad and knew deep down that I would never find them again and they couldn't find me either and they were just going to leave the country without me.

The Mexicans were having a birthday party for one of their sons, so there was drinking, dancing, and laughter all around me, but I couldn't enjoy it I was so scared and trapped. The next morning the woman gave me a sack lunch and told me to go to the embassy. Before I left she grabbed my shoulders, gave me a very serious look, and gave me a warning: "Don't speak Spanish. Your Spanish is too bad; they'll find you."

No comments: