Thursday, July 10, 2008

death kinda smells like roast beef

Some kid and his friends came into our house while we had some people over and kidnapped someone. He pulled out his gun and forced this girl we knew to go home with him. After they were gone, the party continued without comment so I got pissed and stormed out, yelling "I'm gonna go get her back!" Brice ran out after me telling me it's a bad idea: "Don't worry about her, she'll be okay." and I was like "Yeah right!" and Brice got really pissed and sighed really sharply and gave me that look he always gives me that says "You are being so irrational but I'm not going to argue because unlike you, I pick my battles wisely." Then he rolled his eyes and got in the car, telling me he wouldn't let me go alone. "Lissa, are you nuts, those guys have guns! We don't have anything!" I said, "So?! We have to do something!"

At the guy's house, his mother opened the door for us, pointing a gun at us. "Oh, you've come to be heroes, have you? Get in here!" When we were inside she lowered her gun and cackled like a witch and flipped her arm towards the basement door. "He's down in his room." She took a swig of whiskey out of a glass bottle. She was clearly wasted.

We ran downstairs to see the boy hanging from the rafter on his ceiling--like he was trying to hide or do pull-ups or something. Brice had gotten the drunk woman's gun somehow and was now pointing it at the boy. "Where is she?" The kid starting laughing and mad-rushed Brice quickly, somehow getting the gun out of his hand and pointing it at us in the same movement. He was schizophrenic, talking about crazy shit and muttering things. He reminded me of Kenny, this crazy guy from my high school. He had a sinister smile. "Let's go," he told us. His mom helped him tie our hands behind our backs and get us into a big brown station wagon. Then they took us to his friend's house. There was some sort of party going on there. It reminded me of a typical Midwestern wedding reception.

The kid left us at a table with food on it and went to another room, probably to do some drugs. He wasn't a very cautious captor. I saw Nikki, a good friend from high school, at the next table over. I hadn't seen her in five or more years. She smiled really big and came over to my table and we hugged. "What are you doing here?" she asked me. "This guy has taken us hostage," I told her. She rolled her eyes: "Yeah, he has me too." She said it the same annoyed sympathetic way she might've said, "Yeah, I'm on my period too." I was like, "What?! We have to get out of here, Nikki! He's not watching us, let's go." Nikki said, "Yeah, let's get out of here." Then she looked at me solemnly and said, "He's only fifteen, you know?"

I started laughing so hard. We'd been kidnapped by a child. It was too ridiculous. I woke up.

No comments: